Thursday, June 25, 2009

Liberty Jail

Derrick and I were able to take a little historic vacation with his brother Lincoln, wife Jennie and their baby girl Sofie for four days without the other 6 kids. It was a lot of fun and a once in a lifetime opportunity. Derrick's very sweet parents volunteered to watch ALL of the kids one last time before leaving on their mission in July. The kids had a great time, but I'm not so sure that Nancy would say the same. I imagine things got pretty crazy with a million kids running around your house, so I am very grateful to them for taking care of our babies and allowing us this experience.
This site was so cool to me. The actual sized jail is inside that buiding behind us.
What the jail would have looked like.
This lowest part of the jail or the"dungeon" was only six feet tall and some of the men were more than six feet and could not fully stand. I can't even imagine how cold it would have been for them with few blankets and freezing air coming in from a small window on two walls.
Me, Derick, Linc, and Jennie
The jail eventually crumbled over time but the foundation remained and was preserved because a man built this house over it. Years later the Church purchased the home and tore it down and rebuilt the jail. I learned so many  things on this visit.

3 comments:

The Mursets said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Did the kids stay home?

Drake Family said...

What a great sounding trip! I went there years ago when i was little and don't remember much. I would love to go again. I am sure it was nice to take a trip with Derick and without the kiddos.

Travis & Natalie Nelson said...

Travis and I are going to Navuoo July 22 for about four days. We are so excited to go. Looks like you guys had a great time.