So Before I went to sleep on Friday night, I fed Jemma and she pretty much threw it all back up. I just thought maybe she ate too much and that was it, but just to be safe I felt like she needed to stay in the nursery during the night. Around 4 a.m. the nurse woke me up to tell me she wasn't keeping anything down and they were a little concerned and that she was in the NICU.
I spent most of the morning with her not really thinking that anything was really wrong. The Dr. explained to me the best he could the different things he thought might be going on. Life Flighting her to Primary's was very last on the list and he didn't think that would be the situation. He had taken an x-ray of her stomach which seemed to be bloated and he noticed a lot of miconium ( the sticky black poo babies have when they are first born) and he thought that was why she wasn't keeping anything down. The tube in her mouth is pumping out her stomach just in case anything from her intestines was to come up , it kept making her gag and it was so hard to just sit and not help her. They tried to place an IV and failed so it ended up in her belly button which was awful! It kept oozing and bleeding. I felt so sorry for my baby girl and I couldn't even hold her. Around 11:30 a.m. I took a break for lunch and was having a really hard time. I tried watching a movie to get my mind off of things, but I couldn't stop crying and I wasn't really even sure why. Well, while I was having my little break down, the Dr. came in to tell me that they were going to Life Flight us up to Primary Children's hospital and that we would leave in about an hour. I totally started to cry again and the Dr. was so sweet to me and reassuring. I guess I must have somehow known earlier and that's why I was so emotional. I threw everything from my room into my bag in about 10 mins and went back down to the NICU and they were already loading her up. I have never been discharged from a hospital so fast!
We rode in an ambulance to the air port. This is the inside of the plane. It really wasn't very big at all and we had quite a bumpy ride. I kept thinking she was going to have brain damage because we were bouncing around so much, but she did really well and the Life Flight team was really great. Thankfully, it only took an hour.
Here we've just landed and they are unloading the incubator.
Getting ready to load into the ambulance. She looks so tiny in that big box, just 28 hours old.
From one NICU to the next. This was her little bed for six days.



3 comments:
So sad to see her like that- how hard it must have been for you guys. I am glad to already know the happy ending. She is so sweet.
I like knowing the ending , too. It makes the story all worthwhile. Having been there a time in my life,(Kade) there isn't anything worse than waiting and watching and hoping everything is all right!...and feeling so hopeless.
(I just want you to get to the week 2 part, so I can see the update. :D)
I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I am sure it was very emotional!! Now I am waiting for the rest of the story...
Post a Comment